EVENING COURSE 2018
Gorey School of Art Wexford
A unique set of workshops combining mindfulness practices & creative exercises, which develop our ability to become Peaceful, Present & Creative in life. Gentle exercises bring us back in touch with our playful spontaneity, freeing us from habitual self-judgments and self-criticism. We learn how to anchor our awareness in the present, while noticing the minds tendency to pull us into the future and the past. Through gentle breath, body and creative exercises, we develop our ability to be present in both mind and body. We learn how mindfulness can help us reconnect with our innate creativity. How it can help us dissolve creative blocks and how it can strengthen insight and intuition.
Exploring Mindfulness Through Art & Meditation
Where: Gorey School of Art (Gorey Town Centre, Wexford)
What to Expect
Mindfulness will be explored through meditation, creative activities and group discussion, all within a friendly supportive atmosphere. Participants will also be given simple fun tasks & interesting activities to try out at home during the week.
Creative exercises are used extensively in each workshop, both to illustrate and to deepen our understanding of Mindfulness. Participants use a wide variety of creative techniques and materials, in order to explore different aspects of mindfulness, creatively. No previous arts experience or meditation experience is necessary to partake in the course. The course suits beginners to both meditation & art. It also suits those that have an established practice in either art or meditation.
Participants learn to:
- Recognize states of mind that inhibit mindfulness & creativity
- Develop those states of mind that enhance mindfulness & creativity
Participants also learn:
- How to meditate (Using MBSR Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction Meditation Techniques)
- How to develop their own personal mindfulness practice
- How to recognize stress building within the body and mind and develop ways of reducing it
- How to apply mindfulness and draw on their creativity when responding to challenges and stress
- How to reconnect and strengthen their relationship with their own innate creativity
- How to nurture and champion their creativity mindfully
- How to replace habitual reactions with creative responses
- How to develop the mindful attribute of “Beginners Mind”
The focus is on full creative engagement, embodying each experience with all the senses. We learn to become fully present in our bodies, using it as an anchor for mindfulness. Our usual preoccupation with product, perfection and end results is suspended. This approach develops authentic expression, self-awareness and creative insight.
Participants will be given simple tasks & exercises to carry out at home, in between workshops. These exercises are an important aspect of the course. They help participants integrate mindfulness and creativity into their daily lives, and build on the lessons and insights gained during the workshops.
Previous Participants on Mindful-Create courses include:
Meditator’s from all backgrounds, Primary / Secondary Teachers, Visual Artists, Musicians, Poets, Yoga Instructors, Business Owners, Architects, Designers, Chefs, Restaurant owners, Web Designers, Photographers, Art Therapists, Sound Therapists, Housewives /Househusbands, Parents, and Closet-Creatives from all walks of life.
Our thoughts are like Soup Bubbles
Mindfulness Dissolves Thoughts — Attention Is What’s Left Over, with Jon Kabat-Zinn